GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS FOLLOWING TONSILLECTOMY SURGERY:
NO ASPIRIN OR ASPIRIN-CONTAINING PRODUCTS (SUCH AS ADVIL, MOTRIN, PEDIAPROFEN, ETC.) FOR 14 DAYS PRIOR TO AND AFTER SURGERY. USE ONLY ACETAMINOPHEN (TYLENOL) OR OTHER MEDICATIONS PRESCRIBED BY YOUR DOCTOR.
DIET: Push liquids, then soft diet.
- After the first 24 hours, the more the throat is used, the faster the recuperation. Remember, this will be the worst sore throat you will have ever experienced! It may last for 7 – 10 days! One side may be more painful than the other.
- Gargles are not to be attempted.
- A slight fever (99-100 degrees) for the first 5 days is a common occurrence.
- Severe earaches often occur. This is “referred” pain (occurring in another area) which is a result of the surgery, and may last for 5 to 10 days. Do not be alarmed. A heating pad on “low” or “medium” is beneficial.
- Objectionable mouth odor and white patches in the throat are commonly observed for several days.
- Make an appointment for a post-operative office examination for approximately 2 to 3 weeks after surgery. Please call as soon as possible to schedule this appointment. Our office phone number and addresses are shown above. Please indicate which office you would like to schedule the appointment for, as the same phone number is used to schedule appointments for all offices.
- Patients should not travel far from home for at least 2 weeks following their tonsillectomy.
A DOCTOR CAN BE REACHED 24 HOURS A DAY IN CASE OF EMERGENCY